Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor, the brother of King Charles III, has been arrested on suspicion of misconduct in public office.
Thames Valley Police confirmed that a man in his 60s was taken into custody on Thursday in Norfolk, with searches ongoing at properties in Berkshire and Norfolk. He remains in custody as the investigation continues.
In response, King Charles III said the “law must take its course” and affirmed his “full and wholehearted support and co-operation” with the police.
Authorities had previously indicated they were considering investigating Andrew over allegations connected to his association with the late convicted sex offender Jeffrey Epstein, including claims he shared confidential government material. Communications between the pair were among files recently released by the US government.
This marks the first time Andrew has been arrested. He has consistently denied any wrongdoing. Thames Valley Police said a formal investigation was opened following a “thorough assessment,” and they cautioned the public to avoid actions that could constitute contempt of court.
The arrest, which occurred at 08:00 GMT at Sandringham, is not related to sexual offence allegations. Unmarked police vehicles were seen outside the King’s Norfolk estate, and Royal Lodge, Andrew’s former home in Windsor Great Park, is also being searched.
Assistant Chief Constable Oliver Wright acknowledged the significant public interest, stating updates would be provided at the appropriate time. Norfolk Constabulary confirmed it was supporting the investigation.
Andrew Mountbatten-Windsor served as the UK’s trade envoy from 2001 to 2011, gaining privileged access to government and business officials worldwide. Documents recently released by the US Department of Justice indicate that in 2010 he forwarded government reports from visits to Vietnam, Singapore, and China to Epstein, including information on investment opportunities in Afghanistan. Trade envoys are expected to maintain confidentiality over sensitive commercial and political information.
King Charles III expressed “deepest concern” over the arrest and said the matter will now follow “the full, fair and proper process” through the appropriate authorities. The Prince and Princess of Wales support the King’s statement. Neither the King nor Buckingham Palace received prior notice of the arrest, which coincided with Andrew’s 66th birthday.
Andrew has denied any wrongdoing regarding his association with Epstein.
Former UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown confirmed submitting additional information from the Epstein files to UK police forces, building on his previous submissions aimed at securing justice for trafficked girls and women.
Sky Roberts, brother of the late Virginia Giuffre, welcomed the arrest, describing it as vindication for his sister. Giuffre had previously alleged sexual abuse by Andrew on multiple occasions, including on Epstein’s private island, leading to an out-of-court settlement in which Andrew admitted no wrongdoing.
Andrew stepped back from royal duties in 2019, later losing military titles and royal patronages. He was stripped of his princely title in October 2025, coinciding with the posthumous publication of Giuffre’s memoir and new details about his links to Epstein.







